Monday, May 17, 2010

Why yes, I'm addicted to Battleship!

It's been another day here in the ever so sunny village named Gambell. My sis took the day off from work so we could just relax and explore the village a little bit. We went to one of the beaches and saw some of the natives take off in their boats. They were going walrus hunting today. I know they at least caught one, I was unfortunate enough to see someone walking around with the head of one... lets just say it was pretty darn disgusting. We then headed to the "blue store" (because they building is blue) and just looked around. I found $10 pickles! I don't know about you, but that is quite ridiculous. Even the detergent peaked up to $30. INSANITY! Afterwards, we headed to North Beach, I was unaware how long the walk would take. It was quite a ways away from the other beach. Here we just took some pictures and walked around. We even saw some of Russia again. But it was mostly cloudy on the horizon so we didn't see much. However, Gambell was relatively clear and it was getting pretty warm, at least in the mid to late 30s. So much so, the snow was turning to slush. We came back to the apartment and had some dinner and played some games. I am now addicted to online Battleship. I am not sure why, but I have a talent for it... I am not sure when my next post will be. The next few days I will be with my sis helping out in her classroom. I've already seen most of the island, so there isn't much left to explore. Just 1 week left here, then off to Anchorage.

Random thoughts of the day;

$10 for a jar of pickles is craziness.

I have noticed by the footprints in the snow that the Yupik children walk one foot in front of the other, while we (non Yupiks) do not, our footprints are diagonal from each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment