Saturday, May 15, 2010

I am not a "freeper"

Well, I've spent my first 2 days in Gambell. And I must say, it is crazy cold!! Yesterday I met a lot of the natives while helping my sister out with her school day. We played Mafia (which is a game I've played a few times with my sorority sisters). Instead of it being called Mafia, we named it Twilight because apparently her kids love that movie. What should have been a fun game, turned bad quickly. Not many of the kids were taking it seriously or were really actually trying at all. About half way through the day the kids were turning into little devils. The worst group of kids I have met in my life. While yes, some were actually kind and would do their work, the others would just slack off. How they made it to 5/6 grade is beyond me. They use words like "goodly" instead of better. My favorite is them calling Walmart bags "thank you bags". I guess it is some language translation that is off from what it should be... The end of the day couldnt come fast enough. At 2 every Friday they have Yupik dancing, (their culture). They even let people join in on the dances, which means I was definitely down there to try it. Apparently my sister has been Yupik in a past life, because everyone loves her Yupik dancing. I, however, was not blessed with this type of gene, and was pretty much terrible at it. But at least I tried!

Today, I woke up at 9 am, thinking it was at least 11. WRONG! I guess the jet lag is keeping with me for a little while. We were going to head to the school today to get some work done (yes, school on a Saturday). Only because the school has way better internet than her apartment. Well, we waited to long, and before we knew it, it was a white-out blizzard and you couldn't see 10 feet in front of you. We just layed around for a few hours, not really doing much besides playing board games and just packing up some stuff in the apartment. About 4, my sis and I decided to adventure out into the blizzard and walk to the beach. So I put on my heavy winter gear, and by "mine" I mean my sis' gear and we headed out. It wasn't too cold, the temperature was probably in the teens. But the wind was killer. It blew me all the way to the beach. While there we saw this figure coming from somewhere in the blizzard. It was my sis' roomate of all people just wandering around. We took a few pictures and headed back because it was getting a little worse. It was really hard for me to get back, I guess I'm too light here, and the went kept pushing me 2 steps back for every step I took. I eventually made it. :) Then we again, just hung out in the apartment. Funny thing, my sisters wool socks are almost completely warn through at the soles. They look like little faces at the end, so we took some pictures. I named her right one Artemis and her left one Jean-Paul... yes, we are just that bored. We eventually got so bored, we decided to go outside and play Bocci Ball. Let's just say, it was the most epic Bocci Ball game EVER!

So far I have not had any whale, or seal, or anything that screams "Alaska" so far. I'm not quite sure when I will be trying this food, but I have a feeling it is not too far in the future.

Random thought of the day: Why do they put holes in the middle of crackers??

No comments:

Post a Comment