Thursday, May 13, 2010

the EPIC Journey to the Land of the Midnight Sun

Day 1- Airport1- OKC - 2:23 pm (CST)

Well, I've been sitting here for 15 minutes now, and I'm already wishing I was at my destination. The real fun is in the journey, right? Well right now I am sitting watching the airplanes take off in front of me, and hoping this weather gets better. It is supposed to storm not only here in OKC, but in Dallas as well, which isn't good for travel plans. Once I get to Alaska Airlines I should be fine, I've got my flight insurance to back me up. I feel kinda strange walking around the airport with a fluffy winter coat. The looks should be even better when I am in Dallas and it's almost 90 degrees. Airports are some of the best places to listen in on people's conversations. This one lady has been asking if the time is going to change between here and Dallas constantly. She obviously doesn't get out much.... I also met an Alpha Xi alumnae. I didn't get her name and we didn't get to say much, because we were being rushed to get on board. But I did learn that she went to UCO and graduated in 2008. And that's all I got.


Day 1- Airport 2- Dallas/Ft. Worth- 6:39 pm (CST)

Tram moving overhead+being in boarding tunnel=the scariest noise and motion EVER!!!

Well, I'm off to Seattle now. Not really much to report thats interesting. I did however get my ticket problem all figured out. OKC printed some weird seat numbers on my tickets that didn't correspond to anything I printed off or bought. So I got the first two Alaska Airline flights reprinted, having to wait for my last one since it was too far away from the departure time. Now I'm just hoping my luggage makes it all the way to Nome, I don't like how it has to change airlines, but thats the way it is. If it doesn't then I won't be seeing my luggage for a while. It's a hassle just to get it in roughly the same area, but Alaska?! Especially and island of Alaska. Even worse, I can't just go to the nearest Walmart either. I am, however, proud to report that no airplane was on fire on the ground this time. The last time I was here, there was fire coming out of an engine that had firemen scrambling to get it under control. I am pretty sure no one was on the plane at the time, but it was pretty scary to see.... Hm, I guess thats it for now. I'm off!!!


Day 1- Airport 3- Seattle- 9:06 pm (PST)

So right about now I'm super hungry. Paying $6 for only a burger on the plane is a little ridiculous. All these darn places are closed by 9 pm. and there is nothing simple like Burger King, or Taco Bell. What does a person have to do to get a darn McDonald's around here?! On the plane I kept getting annoyed by the guy sitting behind me who kept kicking my feet (which is hard to do on airplanes), and he kept using my chair as leverage to move as well.... ahhhh!!! But anyways, this is my first time in Seattle, it's actually my first time in Washington. We passed over the Rockies and I assume the Cascades and I got some pretty cool pictures. There was still quite a bit of snow on them which made them b-e-a-utiful to look at from the sky! All throughtout the flight the captain kept giving us messages over the PA system thing. Well, out of the whole 3 1/2 hours flight, I heard 1 of 15 announcements he made. It was completely pointless for him to talk. He knew we couldn't hear him, so why continue to do it? I just don't understand.

First impression of Seattle, they have A LOT of trailor parks on the path the plane takes to the airport.


Day 2- Airport 4- Anchorage- 4:26 am (AK)

Ah my gosh, I'm such a tourist!

ALASKA!!!!!! I made it, finally! My flight went really well. To get to the plane I had to go down to the tarmac. I was awesome! I've always wanted to go to the ground level, and now I have. :) Hooray! My plane was 1/4 people and 3/4 cargo, it wasn't a big flight at all, but the plane was HUGE! Although, it could partially be because I've never been on ground level before.... Right now I'm sitting in the lobby, I got 45 minutes of sleep until I woke up to the Airport PA System. I'm not doing too bad right now actually. I did find a McDonald's though!!! Finally some food I recognize.. ha. On the flight here, I thought for a while I needed to cut off my leg or something because my RLS was unbearable!!! But I tried to focus on something else other than the shooting pain. About 2 minutes ago I decided to look out the window behind me (the one I fell asleep in front of on the chairs) and noticed these beautiful mountains, the sun had just risen enough to see them. So far Alaska is absolutely GORGEOUS!


Day 2- Airport 5- Kotzebue- 7:41 am {not pm, AM} (AK)

Only 1 1/2 plane rides to go! This place has a lot of snow and it's absolutely freezing, and I'm still on the plane... My observation is a lot of the people on the plane know each other, but I've seen this town, it's hard not to know everyone... I wish I had taken a picture, it is not like any other town I've seen. I must say though, it is pretty cool to be above the Arctic Circle!

Oh, if you're wondering about the not pm, am thing... I looked at my phone and it said 7:30. I seriously thought that it was 7:30 pm. It was then I realized I really needed some sleep!


Day 2- Airport 6- Nome- 12:52 pm (AK)

I made it to Nome! And so did my luggage! It seemed like a good morning, so I went straight over to the Frontier Airlines building (more like room) and checked in, only to find out that the small plane we saw take off moments after we landed, was the plane I wanted to be on. It wasn't my original flight, but I didn't want to be stuck with what I'm doing now... sitting in the middle of a 6 hour layover.. on facebook, texting many many ppl, on skype, typing up my blog while watching Hoot, (wasn't my first choice of a movie, but it was all I found). As of right now, I have 2 1/2 hours til my flight to Gambell, and I can't wait!!! I'm just ready to be done with all this traveling for a little while.
So the plane headquarters I guess you could say, is one big room... and can be kinda awkward at times. Like when those teenagers wearing handcuffs that are being sent to jail walked right on by... staring at me!!! Uhh... I'll be leaving now... but unfortunately it isn't that easy. The Nome Airport isn't exactly in Nome. It apparently is a 15 minute walk away. I dunno about you, but I'm not walking in 33 degree rainy weather.... so thats a no on that one. And this is where I am presently... sitting, typing this blog....

No comments:

Post a Comment