Friday, May 14, 2010

It smells like Whale...Everywhere.

After a really really long day of traveling (which spanned over 2 days) I finally made it to Gambell. The bush plane ride was absolutely awesome! While in the plane, it was extremely foggy, so I didn't get to see much while I was flying. It cleared up a little bit closer to the island. You know the scene in Star Wars where Obi Wan goes to the water planet, when he is going to land, he looks down at the water below, that is what it reminded me of (minus the heavy waves that were in the movie). When we landed I wanted to ride again, it felt so much like a roller coaster. I thought we were gonna spin out at first once we had landed, but it was much smoother than I thought. They unloaded the 6 passenger plane and I had finally set foot on Gambell, right next to the blue shed they call an airport. It might as well be a shed, you aren't allowed in it. It was absolutely freezing, and I didn't see a colored blob I was familiar with (referencing my sis in a huge coat). That's because she was still walking here, with a sled that was flying all over the place in the wind.

The walk back wasn't bad at all. I placed my suitcase on the sled, which made it sooo much easier to take back to the apartment. I found it strange at how many people keep their windows open because they are "hot". Hello!!! It's 30 degrees, by no means is that considered hot! My sister was gracious enough to keep the window closed last night so I wouldn't freeze, because I was freezing. I slept in a hoodie, with a down comforter over me, and my fleece jacket on top of me as well. Although I don't think me being cold would have kept me awake, cuz I was out once my head hit the pillow. I was sooo tired.

My dinner was not what I was told it was going to be. A facebook post my sister put up said I would be eating whale.... I had chicken and rice and stir fry. But I did touch a whale though! They had some frozen that they weren't going to eat (cuz apparently they don't like the blubber and skin). So I don't know what the blubber actually felt like, since it was frozen solid, but I got to touch a whale, so it doesn't matter.

Right now I am sitting in my sister's classroom while she teaches. Class starts at 9:20 here. Wish I had that kind of start in elementary school, even high school I wouldn't mind. I felt like a puffy penguin while walking to school today. I was wearing snow boots, snow pants, and 3 jackets.... oh and a hat, scarf and gloves... Picture's of my outfit will be posted in a few weeks. I, being smart, brought my comp (it was a last minute decision) but didn't think about bringing my computer cord to hook up to the computer.... So the pictures on my camera shall have to wait for a while. Well, that is all for now. I shall post again tomorrow of my adventures I will be having today.

Thought of the day: It smells like whale....everywhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment